China Express 2

"...And she called his name Samuel, for she said, "I have asked for him from the Lord"

My Photo
Name:
Location: purcellville, VA, United States

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Of Age

Ryan that is.  21 yesterday.  My, that makes me feel old.  Well, not really. His age doesn't make me feel old. But my failing eyes do and my aching back,my swollen feet at the end of the day,my need for a nap in the middle of the afternoon and the wrinkles around my eyes. That's what really makes me feel my advancing years.  Though I know some who read this will laugh and say I am still young.  It's all relative I guess.

But that is not the point of this. The point was to bring a little attention to my dear son and to give glory to God for the blessing he is to us and to those around him.  I constantly receive compliments on what a nice young man he is, engaging, thoughtful great with kids.  And good.  Now that's an interesting comment isn't it.  I've received that comment mostly from my family who know what I was like at that age and what they were like at that age. Good in relation to the sins of our youth, the partying, the promiscuity, the disregard for authority figures.  But I know they mean he is good in a moral sense too not just in comparison to our bad.

But Jesus sad no one is good, and I know Ryan would agree.  In fact I think he would prefer I point to the one who truly is good, the one who by HIS sacrifice, HIS death on a cross made it possible for us to be "good" in HIS eyes. HE paid for all our bad, all the sins of our youth and all the refined sins of our present, things like conceit, selfish ambition, self righteous anger and bitterness, and the sins of our future. 

But this salvation,this atoning for our sins is not just a way to heaven, while that is the ultimate goal, but a way to have joy in this life here on earth. A way to enjoy freedom from sin, freedom to do what is right by the grace poured out on us when we accept Christ in our life. The road is not always easy when you look to glorify God and not yourself but there is an eternal reward that far surpasses anything here on earth.

Dear Ryan,

"But as for you, O man of God, flee these things. Pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, steadfastness, gentleness. 12 Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called and about which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses. 13 I charge you in the presence of God, who gives life to all things, and of Christ Jesus, who in his testimony before Pontius Pilate made the good confession, 14 to keep the commandment unstained and free from reproach until the appearing of our Lord Jesus Christ, 15 which he will display at the proper timeā€”he who is the blessed and only Sovereign, the King of kings and Lord of lords, 16 who alone has immortality, who dwells in unapproachable light, whom no one has ever seen or can see. To him be honor and eternal dominion. Amen." 1 Timothy 6:11-16

Love,
Mom

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter S said...

Happy birthday, Ryan!

11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home